Slideshow

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day by Day Part 2

Day 15 - June 1st, 2013
 Day 16 - June 2nd, 2013
 Day 17 - June 3rd, 2013      AND     Day 18 - June 4th
I was supposed to go to the first care of the day, but woke up in excruciating pain.  So Benjamin went and I drove myself to the doctor.  Long story short, I got sick REALLY fast with mastitis, which includes intense flu like sumptoms.  I was put on a high dose of antibiotics and dealt with the crazy high fever.  Meanwhile, Adam passed bloody stool and it felt like all hell broke loose.  He was put on NEC watch (Necrotizing Enterocolitis).  Basically he was put on bowel rest, so no food and IVs to support him and antibiotics.  He also had a big tube put down his throat to suction anything in his stomach and had x-rays every 6 hours.   It was set up for an initial 48 hours and then they would see after that.  He was uncomfortable and the tubes and IVs were not helping, so Benjamin said he didn't want to leave his side.  This is where is gets worse.  Guess who was locked out of the NICU for having a fever, even though we all knew the cause?  You guessed it!  ME!

I was NOT happy at all.  I have never had someone tell me I couldn't see one of my children before.  I spiked a fever that day, and again during the night.  I had to be fever free for 24 hours before they would let me back in.  So I stopped taking my temperature.  I'm kind of a pain sometimes.  But in all seriousness, I don't think I spiked another one.  I was careful to take the tylenol right on schedule and it was pretty clear when I had one.

So Benjamin sat there for almost the entire time, exhausted, watching our little guy suffer, and waiting to see the results of the next x-ray.  It was a hard time for sure.  I was told he would be going home soon, so I had let my guard down.  It was a blow I didn't expect.  Benjamin is so wonderful and strong.  I am so grateful to have him. 

Meanwhile, I couldn't even take care of my other kids like I needed to.  So Jake, Kristy and their 4 kids entertained the girls multiple days in a row.  It was also Abby's birthday, so they got to have extra fun with them.  They were a huge support to us.



 Day 19 - June 5th, 2013  I finally got to see him again and I was VERY happy.  I didn't get a picture of Haley but she got to hold snakes her male cousins found in the yard too.  Heaven help me because I have no idea what to do with boys.  I guess I will learn with this handsome little man!  We also got to spend a little bit of time together again and went to the park.


Day 20 - June 6th, 2013  First time he finished a bottle!  One feeding, without falling asleep.  One of the biggest challenges of sending home preemies is that eating is hard work.  He rocked this bad boy!




 

No comments: